VB6 Windows Explorer replacement for browser dialogs
David Kerber
2013-02-28 17:52:41 UTC
This is likely not doable but I'll ask anyway...
I have a VB6.exe that manages cnc program files, which includes a fully functional WE replacement. I actually use it in place of WE because it's fully customizeable via VB6. Does anyone know how I can substitute this app (only on my own machine[s]) when other apps (any) run a file/folder browser?
How about dropping your in place of windows\explorer.exe?
GS
2013-02-28 18:30:32 UTC
Post by David Kerber
This is likely not doable but I'll ask anyway...
I have a VB6.exe that manages cnc program files, which includes a
fully functional WE replacement. I actually use it in place of WE
because it's fully customizeable via VB6. Does anyone know how I can
substitute this app (only on my own machine[s]) when other apps
(any) run a file/folder browser?
How about dropping your in place of windows\explorer.exe?
What do you mean, exactly? Why would I want to 'drop' it when it works
so well for its intended purpose?
--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Auric__
2013-02-28 18:41:06 UTC
Post by GS
Post by David Kerber
This is likely not doable but I'll ask anyway...
I have a VB6.exe that manages cnc program files, which includes a
fully functional WE replacement. I actually use it in place of WE
because it's fully customizeable via VB6. Does anyone know how I can
substitute this app (only on my own machine[s]) when other apps
(any) run a file/folder browser?
How about dropping your in place of windows\explorer.exe?
What do you mean, exactly? Why would I want to 'drop' it when it works
so well for its intended purpose?
David's suggesting you replace explorer.exe with your app. The only problem
with that is, without a replacement shell installed, your file browser will
be the only interface that Windows presents to you when you log in. No start
button, no clock, no tray, etc (unless such is built into your app).
--
In a recent poll, eight out of ten Americans said rudeness is a
serious problem. The other two told our pollster to fuck off!
GS
2013-02-28 20:58:52 UTC
Post by Auric__
Post by GS
Post by David Kerber
This is likely not doable but I'll ask anyway...
I have a VB6.exe that manages cnc program files, which includes a
fully functional WE replacement. I actually use it in place of WE
because it's fully customizeable via VB6. Does anyone know how I
can substitute this app (only on my own machine[s]) when other
apps (any) run a file/folder browser?
How about dropping your in place of windows\explorer.exe?
What do you mean, exactly? Why would I want to 'drop' it when it
works so well for its intended purpose?
David's suggesting you replace explorer.exe with your app.
Ah..! That's certainly not what I want (for now)!
Post by Auric__
The only
problem with that is, without a replacement shell installed, your
file browser will be the only interface that Windows presents to you
when you log in. No start button, no clock, no tray, etc (unless
such is built into your app).
Sounds like way to much trouble just to rid my personal Win7 machine of
an annoying nuisance behavior. (Not to mention that this would be way
over my head, even though the learning experience would be most
interesting)

Auric__
2013-02-28 22:53:05 UTC
Post by GS
Post by Auric__
Post by Auric__
The only
problem with that is, without a replacement shell installed, your
file browser will be the only interface that Windows presents to you
when you log in. No start button, no clock, no tray, etc (unless
such is built into your app).
Sounds like way to much trouble just to rid my personal Win7 machine of
an annoying nuisance behavior. (Not to mention that this would be way
over my head, even though the learning experience would be most
interesting)
It's not really that hard. I wrote my own custom shell several years ago, and
I'd say about 90-95% of it was no different than any other VB program.

And of course, there are many many shells already available, so you wouldn't
have to write your own if you don't want to. Check out Sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/directory/os:windows/?q=replacement+shell

(More results if you leave out "replacement" but you also get more unrelated
results, like shell script editors.)
Most of you will go to Vietnam. Some of you will not come back.
GS
2013-03-01 03:02:29 UTC
Post by Auric__
It's not really that hard. I wrote my own custom shell several years ago, and
I'd say about 90-95% of it was no different than any other VB
program.
And of course, there are many many shells already available, so you wouldn't
http://sourceforge.net/directory/os:windows/?q=replacement+shell
(More results if you leave out "replacement" but you also get more unrelated
results, like shell script editors.)
Thanks for the link. At first glance through the list (1 page only) I
didn't see anything that relates, so I'll spend more time looking at
each item.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to continue using my app instead of WE, even
though it's intended purpose is for something beyond just browsing.

Reflecting back on the issue that started this quest, I realize I only
have my folderview set for single-click because I mostly use the
context menu in the fileview. This is what works best for me because
navigating through folders across multiple drives would otherwise be a
lot of double-clicking just for someone who has the dexterity to do it,
let alone someone who doesn't have that level of ability anymore. I'd
be happy just to be able to turn that functionality off for the WE
fileview and leave it on for the folderview only, but no can do.

Deanna Earley
2013-03-01 08:51:24 UTC
Post by Auric__
Post by GS
Post by David Kerber
This is likely not doable but I'll ask anyway...
I have a VB6.exe that manages cnc program files, which includes a
fully functional WE replacement. I actually use it in place of WE
because it's fully customizeable via VB6. Does anyone know how I can
substitute this app (only on my own machine[s]) when other apps
(any) run a file/folder browser?
How about dropping your in place of windows\explorer.exe?
What do you mean, exactly? Why would I want to 'drop' it when it works
so well for its intended purpose?
David's suggesting you replace explorer.exe with your app. The only problem
with that is, without a replacement shell installed, your file browser will
be the only interface that Windows presents to you when you log in. No start
button, no clock, no tray, etc (unless such is built into your app).
Windows won;t let you replace Explorer.exe.
It's far easier, if you want to replace the shell to set the new shell
path in the registry.
IIRC, this still works as it has done for 20 years.
--
Deanna Earley (***@icode.co.uk)
iCatcher Development Team

iCode Systems

(Replies direct to my email address will be ignored. Please reply to the
group.)
Auric__
2013-03-01 12:32:57 UTC
Post by Deanna Earley
Post by Auric__
Post by GS
Post by David Kerber
This is likely not doable but I'll ask anyway...
I have a VB6.exe that manages cnc program files, which includes a
fully functional WE replacement. I actually use it in place of WE
because it's fully customizeable via VB6. Does anyone know how I can
substitute this app (only on my own machine[s]) when other apps
(any) run a file/folder browser?
How about dropping your in place of windows\explorer.exe?
What do you mean, exactly? Why would I want to 'drop' it when it works
so well for its intended purpose?
David's suggesting you replace explorer.exe with your app. The only
problem with that is, without a replacement shell installed, your file
browser will be the only interface that Windows presents to you when
you log in. No start button, no clock, no tray, etc (unless such is
built into your app).
Windows won;t let you replace Explorer.exe.
It will, at least in NT5 and older (don't know about NT6), if you are willing
to jump through the hoops (and know how).
Post by Deanna Earley
It's far easier, if you want to replace the shell to set the new shell
path in the registry.
IIRC, this still works as it has done for 20 years.
I haven't tried in NT6, but yeah, *should* work the same.
--
Or maybe she's just a bitch.