VB6 and Visual Studio 2013 Auto-Configuration
Alex Balfour
2015-01-08 23:52:41 UTC
I've both VB6 and, more recently, Visual Studio 2013 installed on my
desktop PC. Whenever I run VB6 or double-click a vbp file, VS2013 starts
configuring itself. It's easy enough to kill the configuration process
but it would be nicer to prevent it occurring. Any ideas or suggestions?

Running VS2013 directly does not cause this problem.

AlexB
Jim Mack
2015-01-09 01:47:00 UTC
Likely one or more file associations have changed with the installation
of VS. Look at 'Default Programs' in the Control Panel and check the
common VB6 extensions.
--
Jim
AlexB
Alex Balfour
2015-01-09 22:54:51 UTC
Thank you for this suggestion but the problem remains. vbp files had
already been associated with VB6 and associating frm, mod, cls, res and
bas files had no positive effect.

By the way, if I let the configuration process continue for VS2013, it
seems to enter a repetitive loop which never comes to an end.

AlexB
common VB6 extensions.
GS
2015-01-09 23:30:00 UTC
Post by Alex Balfour
I've both VB6 and, more recently, Visual Studio 2013 installed on my
desktop PC. Whenever I run VB6 or double-click a vbp file, VS2013
starts configuring itself. It's easy enough to kill the configuration
process but it would be nicer to prevent it occurring. Any ideas or
suggestions?
Running VS2013 directly does not cause this problem.
AlexB
If the behavior is anything like M$ Office then the last install will
be the default version for associated files. Try running 'Repair' on
your VS6 install and see what happens!
--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Alex Balfour
2015-01-10 23:01:30 UTC
Post by Alex Balfour
I've both VB6 and, more recently, Visual Studio 2013 installed on my
desktop PC. Whenever I run VB6 or double-click a vbp file, VS2013
starts configuring itself. It's easy enough to kill the configuration
process but it would be nicer to prevent it occurring. Any ideas or
suggestions?
Running VS2013 directly does not cause this problem.
AlexB
If the behavior is anything like M$ Office then the last install will be
the default version for associated files. Try running 'Repair' on your
VS6 install and see what happens!
There isn't a "repair" option available. Choosing "reinstall" didn't
solve the problem.

AlexB
GS
2015-01-11 04:28:18 UTC
Post by Alex Balfour
Post by Alex Balfour
I've both VB6 and, more recently, Visual Studio 2013 installed on my
desktop PC. Whenever I run VB6 or double-click a vbp file, VS2013
starts configuring itself. It's easy enough to kill the
configuration
process but it would be nicer to prevent it occurring. Any ideas or
suggestions?
Running VS2013 directly does not cause this problem.
AlexB
If the behavior is anything like M$ Office then the last install will be
the default version for associated files. Try running 'Repair' on your
VS6 install and see what happens!
There isn't a "repair" option available. Choosing "reinstall" didn't
solve the problem.
AlexB
No kidding! I just tried this on my Win7 Pro x64 machine and got the
normal expected behavior! I have VS6.0 and VS2008 installed on here. I
can't recall when I started getting normal behavior but I'm pretty sure
I had to use 'Open with...' and specify Visual Basic 6.0 for vbp files
with the 'always use' option.

Alex Balfour
2015-01-17 23:09:47 UTC
Problem solved. Via Google I found the thread:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/407058cd-22c5-44b7-bd0e-0571fdd2fc69/launching-vb6-editor-after-installing-visual-studio-2013-results-in-please-wait-while-windows?forum=vssetup

The Event Viewer confirmed that the folder
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\URTInstallPath_GAC was missing and
had to be created.

AlexB
GS
2015-01-17 23:11:40 UTC
Post by Alex Balfour
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/407058cd-22c5-44b7-bd0e-0571fdd2fc69/launching-vb6-editor-after-installing-visual-studio-2013-results-in-please-wait-while-windows?forum=vssetup
The Event Viewer confirmed that the folder
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\URTInstallPath_GAC was missing and
had to be created.
AlexB
Congrats! Thanks for the link...